Earth Day Art Challenge

Last week I answered a call for art for an Earth Day Art Challenge with the Muse in Frederick. The challenge was to create a piece of art using entirely recycled items. Since I happen to enjoy working with jewelry, I decided to create a piece of jewelry using vintage jewelry and buttons. I am happy to say that the bracelet I created was accepted for the Earth Day Exhibit!

Here are photos of the vintage pieces that I used to create my "new" bracelet.



I enjoyed the challenge of using vintage jewelry pieces and buttons to create something new. I always like the idea that someone else wore the jewelry in another place and in another time. The buttons are from a collection that I inherited from my husband's great Aunt Marguerite.  Aunt Marguerite was a talented artist herself and loved anything crafty, so I know that she would enjoy that fact that her buttons are living on in the artistic world. I have used her buttons in mixed media collage and as decorative embellishments on clothing.  She had an amazing talent of carving birds from wood. I will have to take photo's of her work and share them with you in a future post.

So, here is the final result of combining all these separate pieces together.

There is an artist reception next week at The Muse from 5-7 on Saturday night the 16th. I will make sure to bring my camera so I can share some of the other recycled art pieces with you.